David Rocco's Dolce Vita - Bolognese Sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (45ml)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (30ml)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- Sprig of fresh rosemary
- 200g minced pork (0.5lb)
- 200g minced beef (0.5lb)
- 1 cup white wine (240ml)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (see ‘salsa di 5 minuti’ recipe) (470ml)
- 2 dried chili peppers, crushed
- 5 basil leaves, torn
- Salt to season
In a hot saucepan melt unsalted butter with the olive oil, and add carrots, onions, celery, and chili pepper.
Cook the ingredients on medium heat until they are soft. Add sprig of rosemary.
Add minced beef and pork and cook until golden brown. Remove rosemary sprig and add white wine. Let reduce.
Add ‘salsa di 5 minuti’ or puree tomatoes and let simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
Before serving, add basil leaves and salt to season. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings